The aim of the Warbirds Over Wanaka Community Trust Flying Scholarships is to address one of the risks identified around the future sustainability of our Airshow – a possible lack of Warbird display pilots in future years. The Trust is looking for younger pilots, passionate about Warbirds who wish to have access to these aircraft with a view to flying them.
This quote from Michael Williams, scholarship winner 2017, to WOW says it all:
"As you are aware, I used my Scholarship late last year towards type rating training in the P-40. We didn't get to complete all of the flying at the time, and it has taken until now to "line up the planets" in order to get the aircraft, Frank Parker and myself in the same place and time. Suffice to say however, as of Thursday I am now officially type rated in the P-40, with the final flight being one of the best 30 minutes of my life whilst trialling a display routine just south of Ardmore.
I just wanted to say a huge thank you for the opportunity. The Scholarship was the critical factor that enabled all of this to happen, and for that I cannot thank you enough."
• Each scholarship is approximately to the value of $5000. It covers aircraft hire, insurance, fuel and instruction.
• One or two scholarships will be awarded annually to an individual or group of pilots who might require some specific training and the Scholarship should be taken up within a year of acceptance of the scholarship.
• The applicant must have a minimum of 200 hours as PIC.
• The applicant must be over the age of 18 and under the age of 50 by the time he/she would receive the scholarship award.
• The applicant must be a NZ resident
• Applications are open now and close on 29th August 2019.
• Successful applicants will be announced by the end of October 2019.
We welcome your application and invite you to download the 2019 WOW Flying Scholarship Application Form here